If the idea of climbing an iconic route on a beautiful mountain that few people outside of Japan have experienced sounds attractive to you, but you’re not sure where to begin with planning, or how to go about finding such a climb in English, then this book is for you.
The Japanese archipelago is covered with mountains, many of them over 3000m above sea level in the alpine regions, and they are home to some of the most beautiful and iconic routes in the world. And yet very few people know much about them, and even fewer have succeeded in climbing them.
From the rock walls of Mt Tanigawa and the arêtes and ridgelines of Mt Yari, Mt Kita and Mt Hotaka, to the winter alpine playground of Mt Yatsu, this second volume in the Climb Japan series details ten of the finest big routes for all seasons. Inside this guidebook you will find:
• Comprehensive route descriptions and strategies for a successful ascent
• Topo diagrams and approach maps
• Beautiful photographs to illustrate the climbs, and to help with route-finding
• A list of many of the best Japanese alpine climbs sorted by difficulty
• Practical advice on Japanese climbing grades and how they correspond to international grading systems; the Japanese climbing seasons; Japanese maps; insurance; and much much more…
With over a decade of intensive climbing experience in the Japanese alpine, and dozens of classic climbs accomplished, Tony Grant is uniquely situated to help you access some unforgettable experiences on the most iconic Japanese mountains.